Yesterday I was helping a customer on the creation of a particular workflow and when we published it we had this error : Error were found when compiling the workflow. The workflow files were saved but cannot be run.
The detailed message on SharePoint ULS was :
Microsoft.Workflow.Client.WorkflowCommunicationException: The request was aborted: The request was canceled. Client ActivityId : 7a290e9c-0917-7088-afc4-e65fd25c5c0b. ---> System.Net.WebException: The request was aborted: The request was canceled. ---> System.ServiceModel.ServiceActivationException: The requested service, 'net.pipe://localhost/SecurityTokenServiceApplication/appsts.svc' could not be activated. See the server's diagnostic trace logs for more information
After searching on the web and trying some well documented solutions, I finally found what was the cause of our issue. The service Net.Pipe Listener Adapter wasn't started on the SharePoint web server. After I started it, I was able to publish the workflow.